Monday, July 17, 2006

Son of ..

Mac. That's exactly what it means. In the realm of names, Mac is used in family names to indicate that you are the son of . You know those posts where people try to enrich your education by giving you a vast history of something? Like the history of names for example? Well this is not one of those posts.

Far from the depths of general knowledge, this is actually nothing but a shallow status report. Brief at its best and if not, descriptive at the least.

So I'm still trying to get myself used to Mac OS. Being a Windows user ever since I got my hands on a PC, I'm telling you this is no trivial task. Learning is hard. But I guarantee you that unlearning things that you are so used to that they have already become second nature is harder. This is so reminiscent of my fumbling Dvorak days where I traded in my Qwerty keys back last year's summer. Now, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog is equivalent to yd. 'gcjt xpr,b urq hgmlo rk.p yd. na;f eri Completely keyboard gibberish wouldn't you say?

Anyway, taking a stand requires sacrifices - a lot if you are swimming against the current. And the current is Qwerty and Windows. Here's a typical scenario whenever Cy and I go to a lan shop to kill people. Not actually kill them per se' but pawn their heads for gold in a game called Defense of the Ancients, more popularly known to the masses as DOTA. So anyway, the moment we get to time in, the first thing we do (almost like automatons) is to go to regional settings and add Dvorak as a keyboard input scheme. Why not use Dvorak for our hotkeys, changing every hotkey would require some hacks on several files and besides, the convenient remnant of our Qwerty is surprisingly enough to press the right hotkeys. Translation: we're too lazy to edit the right files and change them back before we leave as courtesy to the next user.

So away from my digression and back to my point (it seems that lately I've been having a lot of 'points' and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing). Trying to ditch my Windows habits and trying to crawl my way in to getting what I want done is sluggish. But there are improvements. I'm trying to get a lot of materials, podcasts, videos etc that would help me jumpstart my Mac prowess (note to self: riiiiiiighhhhhhhht). Oh well, pain is pain if anything at all, I still have my desktop pc booted with Windows. Anyhoo, I did say that I adapt, easily.